I use Spotify on my computer from time to time but I hate when the Ads start playing.
The first solution I was using was blocking Spotify Ads DNS’s, but that stopped working after a while.
I don’t mind having a break between a few songs, but I don’t wanna hear the Ads, so I decided to create a small script to hack it.
The script does the following:
- Using OSX log system I can listen to Spotify events.
- Read the events and check if an Ad is about to be played.
- If the event is an Ad about to be played automatically mute system audio.
- If the next event is a song, unmute system audio.
How to install it
- Open a new terminal (use Spotlight search and type terminal.app)
Inside the new window paste this command and then hit enter
mkdir -p ~/MuteSpotifyAds && curl https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gdi3d/mute-spotify-ads-mac-osx/master/NoAdsSpotify.sh > ~/MuteSpotifyAds/NoAdsSpotify.sh
- This will create a new folder inside your Home folder called
MuteSpotifyAdsand will place a new file called
To run the program just copy and paste the code below in the terminal and hit enter
- Open Spotify and enjoy!
To exit the program just close the terminal app or press Ctrl+c
Why not blocking Ads instead???
I used to have all the Spotify Ads DNS blocked but that stopped working.
Besides, I was bored that Saturday noon and I wanted to give it a try.
Website and Github Repo
Here’s the repo if you want to know more:
Photo Credits: https://www.pexels.com/@burst